You are hereNick's Blog
Steve Grant is a writer for the Hartford Courant who tends to write articles about the outdoors and environmental issues. A couple weeks ago he gave me a call to see if I would be a willing subject of an article. Seemed like a good idea to me. I'm not about to pass up free publicity.
After a lot of thought, I have decided to increase the prices on my boat plans. I do this reluctantly because I hope to keep the activity of building your own boat affordable, but I have not increased my prices since I started the business in 1993 and the costs of operating keep on going up. This price increase will help me maintain a high level of service for small boat builders with things like the KayakForum and personal technical support.
The price increase will not go into effect until April 1st, 2006, so if you are thinking of purchasing plans this spring, you have a chance to get them before the prices go up.
It has been exceptionally warm this winter. I would like some nice cross country skiing weather, but a nice warm day out on the water is always appreciated. Carl wanted to get out around 9, but I didn't feel like rushing out of the house early. Pete, Kate, John and Beth were planning on putting in at Esker Point around 10 and that was more like it. As it was I just got there 9:50, but I had everything ready so I just had to pull on my dry suit and lift the boat off the car.
Wayne suggested the idea. At first I was waffling. I had been out on Saturday and wasn't sure I wanted to drive all the way to Rhode Island, but I woke up to clear blue sky and almost no wind, so I decided it would be a lot more fun to paddle on the ocean than going to the Connyak pool session.
Carl and I were the only ones to show up. I guess other people looked at the weather and thought better of it. It wasn't particularly cold, but it wasn't exactly warm. They were talking snow, but the clouds were cracked, showing a little blue and the occasional glimpse of the sun. There were a few swells coming in on the beach, but the water was otherwise smooth, with almost no wind. It was a fine day for a paddle.
Pete sent out the plan last Friday before we had a good idea what the weather was going to be: "December 26 - Launch from Stonington Point and paddle out to Latimer Reef and beyond to Fisher's Island to look for seals." When I woke up on Monday it was raining hard, but it was warm at around 40 degrees F. I loaded up my Petrel sea kayak on the car and dressed for paddling, leaving my drysuit off until I got to the put in. The weather varied from thick fog and heavy rain to breaking clouds and sunshine and back again to fog.