There is a whole community of people out in cyberspace who are into kayaks and other small boats, either building them or using them or even just admiring them. Below are some links to a few places where you can get to know some of these people.
Guillemot Kayaks Pages & Sites:
- Nick's Blog - Random ramblings from Nick Schade, the owner of Guillemot Kayaks
- Kayak Forum - a Bulletin Board devoted to sea kayaking including the specific topic of building kayaks.
- Gallery of Homemade Kayaks - pictures of wooden kayaks built from Guillemot Kayaks plans.
- What's New @ Guillemot Kayaks - Recent additions to this site, including new designs and other fun stuff.
- Events - Classes, Gatherings, Shows, and other things on the calendar.
- Guillemot Kayaks on Facebook
- QajaqUSA - A site devoted to the traditional kayaks of Greenland. The site includes a bulletin board about using and building traditional kayaks.
- CLC Builder's Forum - Chesapeake Light Craft has a bulletin board devoted to providing help building their boat kits.
- Connyak - The local (Connecticut, USA) sea kayaking club I belong to. There are lots of clubs around. You should check for one in your area.
- WoodenBoat Forum - Associated with WoodenBoat Magazine this is an active forum about building all kinds of boats from wood. If you are interested in taking classes, check their WoodenBoat School. Also see their Launchings section.
- WoodenBoat Plans and Kits Directory - A large directory of boat designs of all forms and sizes available as plans or kits.
- BoatDesign.net Free Plans Directory - a directory of links to sources of free plans for all sorts of boats.
- Free Boat Design Resources - A directory of free boat plans and free boat design resources.
- Fine Woodworking - Good information about woodworking and gallery of beautiful woodworking.
- Paddling.net Message Board - A bulletin board devoted to canoing and kayaking.
- Blackburn Challenge - An open water race in Massachusetts devoted to human powered boats of all sorts.